Friday, October 03, 2003

*** RANT = ON
I usually do not drive from work to home at 8:30 in the morning. (At 6am in the morning you are too groggy to figure out that you are sick, though I did have a suspicion.) Long ago I decided that post 7:30am driving is a drag and decided to get into work at 7am or earlier.

What does this mean? I don't experience the morning rush hour insanity. (A definitely oxymoron, "rush hour".) Everybody wants to go 5 miles an hour faster. This usually means more than 70mph. Today, being sick, I had no tolerance for such foolishness, and got into the slow lane. (Though the slow lane can be insane too; on ramps never ramp you up to 65mpg.)

Though the real insanity exibited itself at highway 12 and Farmers, a place where all traffic diverts through city streets. Occasionaly when I come home I will get the back-up here of 3 to 5 stop light cycles. And this morning was no exception. Though when you see somebody pull to an on ramp, and back down it, you know the insanity has set in.

What is it about highways, people, numerous cars, over a ton of rolling metal, and a rush to get to work that makes people lose their social behaviors? Is it the anonymity? (Eternal unanswered question.) That extra speed, attempt to bypass traffic illegally (off ramps, passing on the right), is never worth the real time or the tempting of a traffic ticket. If you are going 12 miles to work and you speed by 5mph, you only save a minute.

This is part of the reason why I have a dummy webcam in my back car window-- in hopes of beaning people in the head with some sense. It doesn't always do that, but there are a few instances in which it does.

*** RANT=OFF

TOPIC: rant, society

No comments: