Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Kiwi-Apple Salsa

I wanted a sweet and hot salsa, like a mango salsa, for some sausage and shrimp wraps I made. My local store didn't have any mangos, and the papyas were huge. So I poked around the roduce section and decided to make the salsa out of apples and kiwis. The results were amazing. In the batch I made I retained all the seeds of one jalapeno, which resulted in a sweet salsa with a sucker punch (medium to hot).
  • 1 gravenstein apple
  • 3 kiwis
  • ½ onion
  • cilantro
  • 2 jalapanos
  • 1½ tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 pinches salt
  1. Finely dice jalapenos, removing all seeds and some of the interior. (Retain and add
    to increase heat.)
  2. Peel and finely chop apple and kiwis. Finely chop onion and cilantro.
  3. Combine all ingredients.
  4. Optional: use a food processor or blendor to make it smooth. (As a garnish, the original
    batch was left chunky.)
Makes approximately 1½ cups (12 oz.) of salsa. Double or triple for a large group.

No comments: